8.12.2010

Motherhood is being protective...

So, tomorrow, my baby girl goes in for surgery.

Not a HUGE surgery.  But in my mind, it is.  She's getting ear tubes because she's had a run of recurrent infections and now the fluid in her ears cannot drain and has turned to glue.  Glue ear is what the fabulous doctor calls it.  She's practically deaf because of the crap in her ears!!!

I'll admit.  I'm scared.  I know this surgery is VERY common and will make her life so much better, and I know she'll be able to hear.  Working in the medical field I think helps and hinders my feelings though.  I know the procedure and I know the steps and I know first hand how marvelous this doctor is.  All of our patients with ear problems have used him and Dr. K knows him well. 

But, it's still scary to know that she'll be under anesthesia and I know the risks that it involves.  Luckily, she'll just get gas and that's it.  They don't have to intubate her or do any IVs. 

The protective mommy in me wants to be with her throughout the whole surgery.  I feel I deserve to go with her, because we've sent nearly 75% of our patients to him, my practice practically keeps his practice in business, right?!  I feel entitled to special treatment darn it!

It's going to practically kill me seeing my precious baby girl being taken away in someone else's arms...

1 comment:

  1. Abbi,
    You are such a great mother. My first went through a colonoscopy at age 3 and I felt so helpless and scared. It is a fine line between being a protective mother and a faithless control freak. I'm glad everything went well, she is blessed to have you as her mother.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good. The cleanse the soul.