
This is my bestest friend in the whole wide world, Sarah. We met in first grade. It's funny though. We've been friends for almost 20 years now. It doesn't seem that long, but 20 years is a long time.
We started out chasing the boys on the playground. In second grade, we started a club, because clubs were the cool thing to do. The Best Buddies Club. :::laugh::: We took pictures of each other, and made our own book by typing on a typewriter that my mom had when she was a kid. It was that lime/olive green, from the 70s. Sarah's BBC name was Tu-Tu, which I still don't know where we came up with that. And my BBC name was Bi-Bi, which obviously came from my name.
There's a picture that I remember clearly from when we were in either fourth or fifth grade. We were sitting in front of the TV, watching "Jaws" of all movies. A week later, she took a trip to the coast, was on a boat, and the boat flipped and they had to swim back to the coast. I remember her telling me that she was completely freaked out because she thought Jaws was going to get her while she was swimming back to shore.
I remember swim team with her. I remember taking trips with her. One of our more fun ones was our Senior Year Spring Break trip. I was living in Texas and she was still in North Carolina. We met up in Miami. And we went on a cruise. :::laughing again::: I honestly don't remember much of the cruise because legal drinking age on the cruise was 18... ha ha. But the one night I remember, I'll never forgot. And I know she won't either.
She had gone back to our cabin for the night and I stayed up at the club. Yes, I was drinking... rum punch to be exact. Well, rum and some koolaid, but to me, it was rum punch. I got smashed :::giggle::: and some 6'8" guy, who was bald, but fairly good looking, carried me back to the cabin. Sarah freaked, thinking this guy was going to hurt us. But, my thing is, why would he want to hurt us if I had puked all over him! :o)
Now, on cruise ships, they have what's called Mustard Drills for the passengers. Basically, when you hear the sirens, you grab your life preservers and go to your assigned meeting spot to get on the life boats if an emergency occured. Well, that very night, the sirens went off. Poor Sarah freaked again. I tried to freak out, but I was too drunk to do anything besides puke. So, Sarah's throwing things at me trying to get me to one, wake up, and two, put my life jacket on.
She drags me out of the cabin and I guess through all this hubbub my parents come out of their cabin right next to our's. They're laughing at us! We couldn't believe it! Why are they laughing at us when our ship's going down!!?!
Through their laughing they explained that it was only a drill, and ONLY for staff! So, here I am puking, Sarah's trying to hold me up, and my parents are laughing. Ahhhhh... sweet memories. The moral... don't drink rum. It's evil.
Sarah and I have been through a lot. I got to be in her wedding, which is where the picture was taken. And she's helped me a lot and I hope I've been able to help her. We live half a country a part, so our friendship is based on phone calls, the occasional text messageing, and emails. My prayer is that our friendship continues to be strong for another 20 years. I don't know where I'd be if I never met Sarah that day in first grade... I hope that my boys find friends like Sarah and continue to hold a friendship for just as long!
What a sweet post! Not many girls can carry friendships that long! (I haven't!)
ReplyDeleteSo I guess I am famous now!?! Love you too and cherish our friendship!
ReplyDelete~Sarah