8.08.2009

Motherhood is cookies, "My Book About Me," and "Finding Nemo"

For those who know me really well, I don't bake. I don't even like to attemp to bake. However, I saw these today at the grocery store and have had other mommy friends tell me how yummy they are. So, I bought them and the boys and I baked them. I decided to add a little twist and rolled the individual dough pieces up and rolled them in regular sugar, placed them on the cookie sheet, and forked them like the picture (and like I used to make with my mom when I was younger), and then let the boys put green sprinkles on them. Let me tell you, I was VERY impressed with the taste! They're crispy on the outside and slightly doughy on the inside. This brand of cookie dough has no high fructose corn syrup and no trans fat, which normally doesn't bother me, but definitely a bonus!


In the midst of all the baking, I promised Joshy that we'd FINALLY work on his "My Book About Me," by Dr. Seuss. I had made one when I was exactly his age, so it's fun for me to look through my book with him and see the silly answers I had written! Josh is such a different soul, though. In the last few pages, there is a place to write your own story. Let the flood gates open! He wants so badly to know how to spell everything and puncuate correctly. I want him to write his own story, like I wrote mine. He freaks out at his littlest mistakes. Granted, it is like almost 9:00pm when he's doing this, but still. Even when he's not exhausted, he gets incredibly sensitive about his mistakes when it comes to coloring, reading, and/or writing. He cries and he starts babbling... it's so very sad! But we got through most of his book tonight. We have to get all the autographs and then he's going to re-write his story tomorrow or another day. I had him write a rough draft so when he writes in his book he won't make mistakes and completely freak out!



Sitting peacefully (for once) while cookies were baking and while I was working/counseling Josh, Joey sat and read some books and watching Finding Nemo on ABC tonight. It's surprising to me... no matter what he's doing and no matter how many times he's seen this movie, it stops him dead in his tracks and he watches it so quietly.


So that was our night... enjoying some baking, some time seeing how smart Joshy is, and seeing that Joey loves Nemo more and more. Speaking of Joey, the sweet little boy has been so cuddly lately and has a new found love of books. Josh loved being read to as a baby, toddler, preschooler, and loves reading to himself now. Joey just never enjoyed being read to no matter how hard we tried. He was so much more content building things, making cars go "vroom," and trains go "choo-choo." I can't wait to see how well he does in school this year with his speech therapy. His speech has gotten better over the summer, which I think has something to do with the wonderful woman that watches him and Josh for us twice a week.

Anyway, I think that's it for me for tonight! I may go blog about the pregnancy next!

1 comment:

  1. The book idea is sooo cool!! I had totally forgotten that I had that same book when I was growing up......I wonder if maybe your parents gave it to me, or something. I will definitely have to get one for Audrey in a few years. I gave my mom & my mother-in-law the "Grandmother Book" after Audrey was born. It has all sorts of fun questions that you fill out about yourself & then, give back to your grandchild when she is older. I really wish that Grandma had done one for us. It would be fun to look back on it......and, it's like a family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good. The cleanse the soul.