June Marie Francis was my grandmother. She was 84 years old. Last year she was diagnosed with an agressive form of cancer and in July, she was given 6-12 months to live. And boy did she. My dad told me that he had trouble keeping up with her in the grocery store then! She worked in her garden as much as she could, helped anyone who needed it... she was amazing.
She raised four kids in a three bed room house with one bathroom and from hearing all the stories, there was never a dull moment. She had 7 grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and one of the way.
I have some of the greatest memories of visiting her and Grandpa at their house in Pennsylvania. From picking blueberries and blackberries in their garden, to running up and down their backyard playing with my cousins, playing in the basement at their bar, sitting in the kitchen while Grandma made Thanksgiving dinner, watching my Dad chase Grandma with the video camera (when they first came out of course!)...
My fondest memory is when Joshy got to meet her. Granted, he was only 18 months old, but she got to meet her first great-grandchild. He got to run up and down her backyard, smell the flowers in the garden, sit in her kitchen... Joshy never got to see her again, but the two of them shared a special bond. He drew her pictures all the time and we mailed them almost weekly. Joshy adored his "GG" and I pray that he never forgets her.
When I told Joshy that she passed, he cried. He was so sincere when he told me though that we shouldn't cry for her because she's now in heaven, has no more pain, and gets to be with Jesus all the time. In the midst of him still crying, he came out to the kitchen, got his crayons and a piece of paper. On the top he wrote, "Too GG, Love Joshy," and he drew a picture of himself surrounded by hearts.
I told him that it's a beautiful pictures, and he turned to me and said, "I drew it for GG. We don't have to mail my pictures for her anymore because I can leave them on the table and she can see them whenever she looks at me." I couldn't help but cry. My beautiful 5 1/2 year old has a better grasp of passing than most adults. I wish I had my child's faith. It says in the Bible, "Let the little children come to Me." Joshy is definitely with Him and understands Him.
Grandma, I love you with all of me and I pray that we will get to see you some day soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are good. The cleanse the soul.