10.18.2008

Parent-Teacher Conference #1

So, Thursday, I had my first parent-teacher conference! I have to admit, I was a little hesitant about what Josh's teacher was going to say about our growing boy. But all my hesitations were washed away!

About a month ago, she tested all the kiddos in the class on their reading levels and listening skills and letters, numbers, colors, and shapes. She explained to me that by the time they leave kindergarten, they want all the children reading on a level 3, if not a level 4.

Josh's tests showed him reading on a level 2!!! And it's only the beginning of the year! He knows all of his letters, numbers, colors, and shapes, but then again, he has since he was like 2. When the teacher would read him a sentence, he was supposed to write the letters and possibly words that he heard. He wrote letters AND words! We are soooo proud of Josh!

He's reading signs while I'm driving, which is good and bad... but he's just so smart. He tells me almost every day what he wants to be when he grows up. That changes daily! One day, he wants to be a marine biologist, another day a zoologist. He can name almost every sea creature or animal. He's just so thirsty to learn and we're doing anything we can to help drench him!

Parents who may read this, I cannot express enough how important it is to read to your children. I believe with every bone in my body that by us reading to Josh constantly while he was a baby and toddler and even now has helped him tremendously. I wish that Joey would show the same enthusiasum that Josh does. But Joey enjoys other things. Cars, trains, airplanes, anything outdoors related... Two totally different children, but you know what?

They're ours. And they're incredibly loved.

2 comments:

  1. Abbi--I couldn't agree with you more! We have read at least 3-5 books a day to Callie since she was 4 weeks old. Not only does it help their learning ability and cognition, but you are interacitng with them, holding them, using different voices, facial expressions...the list goes on and on why reading to children is sooo critical! I love this post! Good job, moomy and daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't even get me started on how important reading to your babies, toddlers, children is...Es ist total wichtig!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good. The cleanse the soul.